Saturday, January 29, 2011

Revisit: Crock Pot Chicken Bog

So back in November, I made Crock Pot Chicken Bog for the first time.  I just made it again this week, but some of my changes didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

First off, the box of Uncle Ben's rice is a great idea.  I loved it in the original attempt at this recipe, because the wild rice is a nice touch, and the included seasoning pretty much makes it no fail.  But two boxes?  Not so great.  The seasoning really overpowered the dish, and wild rice just doesn't have the same texture as white rice.  It was okay, but next time I'm going back to one box of Uncle Ben's, and then adding white rice until all the juice has soaked up.

The other thing that was different in this was that this time it was greasier than before.  You know how when you eat storebought Mac and Cheese, and while the food itself is not dripping grease it leaves a film on the dish you ate it in?  (I know it sounds gross, but work with me.)  So yeah, that's what this new round of chicken bog did.  The first time I did this, it didn't.  So what changed?  Well, I used chicken thighs this time instead of chicken breasts, and while they were still boneless and skinless, I wonder if chicken thighs can't be a slight bit more fatty than breasts.  (I suppose I could have trimmed them of some of the fat too, but that is always such a pain.) 

The other thing that changed, is I used chicken broth (I originally typed "brothel"-- oops!) that actually came from cooking chicken instead of buying the store bought kind.  I had some left over from when I cooked up some shredded chicken for burritos, and dumped it in the crock pot instead of buying a package from the grocery.  I didn't notice any fat floating on top when I took it out of the fridge, but maybe a more careful look is in order next time.  I don't expect chicken bog to be health food by any means, but hey, a little less grease can only make it better for you, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment