Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Project 3: Avocado Tuna Salad

I love tuna salad.   But KP doesn't keep mayo in the house, and in my own fridge at home it tends to sit there long after the expiration date because I just don't use it fast enough.  So what about a no-mayo alternative?  A quick google search brought up this recipe, and I couldn't resist.  I love avocados, and I never eat them because I never remember to buy them.  What if I had a reason to buy them?

But I worried.  This is the first time I have ever used avocados myself.  So I cut it in half like a youtube video showed me, and BAM! The pit came out before I even had to do anything silly like embed the knife in it. Dude.  I scraped out the flesh with a spoon.  Jeez, this is easier than cleaning out a pumpkin!  While that was going on, one cup of walnuts went in the oven for 5 minutes.  They smelled amazing when they came out!

Then we got to the seasoning.  There was no premixed fish seasoning at Kroger, so I bought some of the stuff mentioned in the recipe.  If I die, it's because I used the parsley flakes KP had in his kitchen.  Given parsley doesn't really have a taste (right?) I couldn't see what could be wrong with it. Famous last words.  (Also, possibly the lemon juice.  There is lemon juice that KP uses in his tea, and then there is the stuff in the fridge, which might have a crust around the lid.  I took off the lid, and crossed my fingers.)

Also, green onions are so much easier to cut than round onions.  As I swiftly cut them up like I was Alton freaking Brown, I thought to myself "Self, this may be our new favorite no way to screw it up recipe."

Then comes the tuna!  I used one of the big cans of tuna so I wouldn't have to open and drain several.  Then a taste.  Oh, wow.  This is pretty good just like this! I throw the rest of the stuff in, because if I'm going to try it, then I am going to try it as the recipe states.

The taste now?  Well, it's very bitter.  I don't know if it's the onion, or the dill (every time I bite into a dill seed it suddenly becomes all I taste) or something else entirely. (Upon further research, it looks like I should have picked up dill weed for this instead.  Ah well.  Lesson learned.)  With a cracker, the bitter taste is much milder, and salvages the tuna salad for me.  I think next time, I think I will just go with the tuna and avocado, and leave out much of the extra stuff.  It was far better before I started adding other things to it. (The seasoning was in there, but I don't think I got a big bite of it the first taste.)

1 comment:

  1. Gotta be the dill. ;) But I don't think I would do the lemon juice either... much better in tea.

    ReplyDelete